Our next meeting is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, June 25 at 10:00 a.m at the Fallis Community Hall.
1. Samco's appeal for the Campground permit application was rejected by Parkland County's Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) on Feb 12 on the basis that the development is not compatible with surrounding land uses and affected parties. Samco can reapply for a Campground permit again in 1 year (Feb.12, 2020). No activity related to campground development can occur until that time. Samco can apply for other developments approved under Agricultural zoning until that time.
2. Samco failed to apply for a Leave to Appeal with Parkland County by March 14. His case therefore cannot proceed to the Court of Appeal.
3. Samco has been observed hauling in approximately 125 - 150 loads of black dirt from Edson since Feb 13. There has been no observed activity on the site for the past 30 days. According to Parkland County, Samco can haul in dirt and can spread it as long as it is less than 6" deep.
4. WASA will remain active in opposition to Samco's previously proposed 300 RV lot Campground development. Concerned community citizens have made it very clear that they are not in favor of this type of development on that site. WASA will continue to advocate for the environment and Lake Wabamun depending on any future proposed developments on the site.
5. Samco remains under investigation with AB Environment. They have yet to remediate deficiencies identified by AB Env under the Water Act Enforcement Order.
Many of you on the WASA email list were included as a result of email addresses that were shared by concerned neighbors. WASA is wanting to create a membership list of those persons that would like to remain informed of the Samco development on Lake Wabamun.
As a result, WASA is requesting that each of you receiving this email, indicate that you either want to, or don't want to remain members by emailing me back. The distribution list will be developed based on those persons requesting to remain on WASA's email list. Please also send your mailing address as WASA discovered that addresses are required to determine "standing" with any future Hearings with Parkland County. Your information will remain confidential.
Thank-you again to all that made monetary contributions for legal fees to WASA for the Appeal Hearing, and also to those that spoke at the Hearing. WASA could not have stopped Samco's proposed Campground development without your support. Take pride in knowing that you have made a significant difference for the community, the enviroment and for Lake Wabamun now and for future generations. I am extremely grateful and humbled by the support provided.
WASA is hopeful that we will not need to pursue legal avenues again, however we will remain vigilant to protect the people, the land and the water if necessary. Any monies that remain in our account will be used for future concerns regarding the Samco site. The WASA membership will determine the use and disbursement of leftover funds if the Association is no longer needed and dissolves in the future.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.
My sincerest gratitude,
Chair of WASA